Tuesday 31 December 2013

IT'S A WRAP


It was dubbed the Year of the Faith. It’s hard to imagine 365 days, 52 weeks are nearly gone by and it feels just like yesterday we were ushering the New Year…I know that saying is cliché but really, it feels like yesterday. I was at the Bella vista New Year party having thrown all caution to the wind jumping up and down to the fist thumping music of today’s times. Karen was her name, I remember…a piece of art - am tempted to call her a masterpiece, it’s sad though that it was never meant to be. That’s how vivid that 31st 2012 is, like its yesterday. That memory is still so fresh or maybe it’s just due to my super photographic memory.

Sigh the year of the faith is gone, but I am glad He has been faithful. So I wrote Him a letter to acknowledge and thank Him for 2013 and to throw in a list of things or opportunities that I would not mind coming my way. I didn't know your address but I have constantly felt you were the first to subscribe to my blog so what the hell…I know you will get this one too.


Dear God,


Am nervous, I have never done this before, written to you, although we talk all the time.Okay, I know I do all of the talking most of the time and you listen without complaint each day so I thought of doing a blog post just to find out if you’ll get the message since I told you to subscribe ages ago…lets see if you did. (chuckles).

It’s been a long year with its ups and downs and when it all started I did not know what you had in store for me, but so much good and so many blessings have come down on me to the extent I sometimes wonder if I am worthy of all this. Hey, am not saying that you close those floodgates of abundant blessings on me but this is just my way of saying that I have been pleasantly surprised each day this year and I am so grateful. You know these are the things that you don’t say much about because words only belittle their significance but I will give it a try.

I must say this year I have learnt a lot from you and about you…found out you have a sense of humor too. But you have taught me that your timing is always right. Regardless of how I sometimes felt that you were too slow like the coastal folks (oops) in handling your in-tray, you have taught me to be graceful both in waiting and asking. It was tough since I wanted everything at once, but you gave me most of them at your own timing. In retrospect I see your infinite wisdom. Finally I got a job, a good job (am a knowledge worker by the way…am paid to think)  and the opportunities are endless and moving forward the future looks bright, am grateful. I have flourished each day since you connected my employer and me and I have learnt a lot and still keep learning each day. But I must say sometimes laziness and negligence creep in, please do not think that I do not appreciate this opportunity given, it’s my character defect and my character is a work in progress. Jealousy from time to time creeps in and settles in when I see my fellow employees excelling and being rewarded. Teach me to be happy for others and to take their success as a challenge to strive for better, and to work hard, diligently and smart because those are the virtues you reward.

Family is important and that, you have constantly drummed into me throughout this year. It would have been impossible for me without my family this year. Constantly encouraging and pushing me on. The struggle was easier because they were there, am grateful. Though sometimes I am distant to my peoples and sometimes feel that they are constantly on my case, but then with time I realize they are your lieutenants that you put by my side to care and show me the way. I sometimes think my dad and mum are my Joseph and Mary. You gave them to me without asking because you knew I would be a perfect fit with them and they would stand by me through the darkest of times and we would share happy moments for years on end. All I ask is that you make me more patient for I lose my cool with them more often than not. That I may strive to understand them and this may be our year.

Well I graduated this year…finally! It was along wait I must say, and the journey was long and tough. I have learnt more these last three years than during any other part of my short life, but the most important  one is that your voice is only heard by a quiet calm relaxed mind. Campus life is no joke, and there are perils along the way that only we must be wary of each day…I must say I cannot confidently say I beat them all but I survived, heavily scarred though, but I know time will make my scars all fade away and they will seem like a slight blight on a heart striving to be with no blemish.All that was because I was abit jumpy and edgy but my thoughts are now more conscious and relaxed and I thank campus for that! You have taught that more often than not I will have to detach myself from all the madness, and chill out so that you can show me the way. Teach me then this year to know how to ran away from all the madness so you could show me your way.

I don’t want to bore you with a lot, (I know many other prayers, letters, posts, are trickling in) but in summary those are the biggest teachings I got this year. There are many others I didn't get but don’t tire for I am a willing learner and hopefully will become a better catholic next year. You were gracious in teaching me life lessons as you were in showering blessings too.  I bet 2014 will come with a bucketful of blessings and shitty days, but remind me that a bad day doesn't necessarily  mean it’s a bad life. I lost a couple of friends this year but for each I lost you gave me another, am grateful. She finally decided she had, had enough of me this year, I don’t know if she will be back but remind me always never to leave the one I love for the one I like, for the one I like will one day leave me for the one they love.

I am putting down my resolutions now, before I head out and imbibe the finest whiskey but am aiming for the stars come 2014 so help me. Don’t leave me when even when I question your very existence, scream and shout at you, slander your name or live like you don’t even exist. It’s a tough world out here and I know am only human and so I will falter and stutter along the way but always keep my eyes on the prize!


Kindest regards








No comments:

Post a Comment